It's a fact that most households own printers or have owned printers, whether happily or unhappily. At Rent-A-Geek we rarely hear of anyone who loves their printers. Maybe that's because we're the local computer repair experts and people know to turn to us for repair help. And when we hear from clients, they're often frustrated and annoyed by their computers and printers. We don't currently offer printer repair, but we have a few tricks up our sleeves to give the printer owner some guidance when they call us. Because our team of local computer repair experts field so many calls, I thought we'd share our Tips for Owning a Printer with our readers.
Tips for Owning a Printer from the Local Computer Repair Experts
- If you have a wireless printer and it's giving you trouble plug it in. It should have a place for a cord to connect it to your computer or laptop. This can get you through a tough spot when it's not connecting as a wireless printer should. Your best bet is to buy a corded printer. Non-Wireless Printers have a tendency to last longer and work better than Wireless Printers.
- Printer isn't working? Most of the time the paper tray is the problem. Try pulling it out and resetting it. Sometimes you can have too much paper in the tray or not enough. Try all of those and see if that helps. You'll be surprised at how often such a simple thing like paper causes a huge headache.
- How's the software? Every printer comes with software that's installed on your computer. Guess what? It needs to be updated occasionally. If your printer is giving you trouble check your software. Update as needed.
- When purchasing a printer look at the price of ink cartridges, they'll be your most significant cost for the life of a printer. Look into ink cartridge refills at stores like Costco, they refill some brands, and it may be worth it to purchase one they refill. Ink refills cost about 1/4 of a replacement cartridge.
- Turn it off, let it rest for a few minutes and try it again. I hate to say it but sometimes it actually works and it's always worth a try.
Remember we don't repair printers but we've had a lot of experience with dealing with them. These are our best tips to make your printer work better.
When your laptop or desktop are giving you trouble we are your local computer repair experts right here in Palmer Alaska. We're just a phone call away, so give us a ring when you need